Match Reports Season 2010 / 11 Wednesday January 12th 2011 Almondsbury Home Wednesday 12th Jan 2011 Zamaretto Southern League Division 1 (SW) Frome Town 1 Almondsbury Town 4 Frome Scorers: Peters (28) Almondsbury Scorers: Mahdi(50), Griffiths (55), Mahdi (59), Stearn (71) Entertainment Value: 3 Crowd: 192 Star Man: Matt Peters. Scoring four goals in the second half has become a bit of a habit for Frome Town recently, but in this match, the roles were reversed and Frome conceded four second half goals as Almondsbury Town applied themselves to the conditions well and turned a 1-0 half time deficit into a 4-1 victory, comprehensively ending Frome's fourteen match unbeaten run. After continuous rain during the day, the match was in doubt right up to the kickoff, and with the rain still falling, the decision to play the match must have been borderline, but the referee made the decision that the surface was playable, and although tricky to play on, the decision proved to be correct. Darren Perrin was without the services of Dean Flockton and Mike Perrott (both injured) and Mike Reaney started alongside Jamie Cheeseman at the heart of defence, with Luke Ballinger moving in at 7 and Darren White starting at 10 alongside Toby Osman. The match started in the pouring rain, with the pitch sticky in places, but no standing water, and Almondsbury's first attack in the 10th minute showed how difficult it was for defenders to turn and for goalkeepers to hold the ball. Frome's Cooper slipped as he attempted to tackle, then gave away a free kick just outside the box. As the free kick came in, the ball slid from Chitty's grasp but the follow up shot was blocked on the line and luckily the ball rebounded straight to Chitty who grasped it at the second attempt. Almondsbury again looked dangerous two minutes later as a shot was headed over his own bar by a Frome defender, with the resultant corner being headed just over the bar by the unmarked Scott Brice. Frome composed themselves a bit more after this and Brigham sent a low shot skidding past the post in the 17th minute, with Thomson and Toby Osman combining well to set up Ballinger in the 22nd minute, but his header was misdirected. The opening goal of the match came in the 28th minute as a Ballinger through ball set up Peters who was able to advance and firmly strike the ball from 18 yards low into the corner of the Almondsbury goal for a well worked goal. The rest of the second half was generally even, with only the occasional long range shots causing the occasional chances, but the crowd at half time were satisfied with the score and looking forward to the second half goal fest that they had come to expect from the Frome. How wrong they were. Almondsbury came hurtling out of the traps after the half time break, and a a 48th minute shot fizzed past the Frome post to announce their intentions. The equaliser came in the 50th minute as a right wing free kick was punched out by Chitty, only for substitute Mahdi to  immediately drive the ball low into the corner of the Frome goal from 10 yards out. Three minutes later and Frome only just survived another carbon copy free kick, this time the low shot just cleared the far post. Almondsbury were now making full use of the conditions and were running with the ball at defenders, knowing that the back pedalling defender would have problems changing direction, and they took the lead in the 55th minute as a left wing run and cross led to ex Frome player  Dean Griffiths nodding the ball cleanly home at the near post, much to his obvious delight. Almondsbury went 3-1 up in the 59th minute as the dangerous Mahdi again cut in from the left wing and released a 25 yard shot that thumped into the chest of Darren Chitty who would normally have held the ball every time, but the this time the greasy ball slid off his jersey, past his despairing hands and flew straight into the net. Frome were stung into action, White was replaced by Hulbert and Toby Osman by brother Ben, but the impetus stayed with Almondsbury and while the Frome strikers always seemed to be receiving the ball with their backs to goal, the Almondsbury strikers were always being played into space in the direction they were running. The killer goal arrived in the 71st minute as Stearn produced a superb, dipping, 30 yard volley that flew over Chitty and clipped the underside of the bar as it dropped into the net for the goal of the game and to make the score 4-1. Almondsbury pretty much controlled the rest of game, and apart from a 73rd minute Ballinger dipping volley that Matthews saved well by tipping the ball over the bar, Frome never really looked liked coming back into the game and Almsondsbury ran out worthy winners.  Frome were applauded off the pitch at the end of the match as the crowd realised that while they had been well beaten on the night, their run of thirteen wins from a fourteen match unbeaten sequence was truly something to be proud of. Matt Peters was chosen as man of the match by representatives of Silver Spoon Catering who had sponsored the match    Frome Town Almondsbury Officials Match Sponsor Silver Spoon Catering Joe White Adam Mahdi Dale Peckham Stuart Nelson Stuart Jones xxxx xxxx xxxx Match Ball xxxx Lee Matthews Tom Warren Ben Wilshire Scott Brice Marcus Mapstone Matt Beadle Ross Stearn Todd Winter Dean Griffiths Mark Whittington David Anyinsah Mascots xxxxxx