Match Reports Season 2010 / 11 Wednesday October 28th 2010 Paulton Rovers Home Wednesday 28th October 2010 Red Insure Cup - Round 1 Frome Town 1 Paulton Rovers 1 (Paulton won 5-4 on penalties, score aet 1-1) Frome Scorers: White (39) Paulton Scorers: Cooper (20) Crowd:202 Star Man: Dean Evans Entertainment Value: 3 Frome Town showed what strength in depth they now have, as a much changed team more than matched Paulton Rovers for two hours of fast paced football, with Paulton eventually winning 5-4 on penalties, after the match finished 1-1 after extra time. Manager Darren Perrin gave a debut start to recent signing Ryan Bennett playing alongside Jamie Cheeseman at the centre of defence, and with MIke Reaney at left back, Ben Osman and Matt Smith in midfield, and Sim Allison returning to the number 10 position, the team had a changed look about it, but was to produce an excellent, balanced performance. After an even start, the first point of note was a shot from Allison that blazed over the bar in the 10th minute, followed quickly by White cutting in from the left and laying a ball across the area that just evaded everyone. Brigham unleashed a low drive in the 19th minute that was just tipped away for a corner, but as often happens, Paulton took the lead a minute later with their first chance of the match. A free kick awarded on their right wing was curled perfectly towards the far post, and with defenders and goalkeeper unsure of who was claiming the ball, it ricocheted off a defender's legs straight to Cooper who was able to easily stab the ball home from 5 yards out. Tom Pass produced an excellent save to deny Cooper in the 23rd minute, but an offside flag would have ruled any goal out, and the 32nd minute saw White set Thomson away on the left wing, and the excellent low cross just evaded three onrushing forwards, however Frome equalised shortly afterwards as a Thomson header brought a good save from Phillips, but the ball rebounded to Evans whose shot was again saved, but White was able to force the ball over the line from close range. A last minute corner saw Paulton's Hart miss a sitter from five yards as a flicked header surprised him and the ball just missed the far post, but the whistle blew shortly afterwards and 1-1 was a good reflection of the first half. Frome started the second half quickest, and White and Thomson combined in the 47th minute to set up Brigham for a low swerving shot that just flew past the post, and several Frome shots again threatened the woodwork before Pass did very well to save from Cooper's point blank header in the 64th minute. Mike Perrott replaced Sim Allison in the 69th minute and quickly caused problems as he charged down a kick from Philips that allowed White to produce a snap header that unfortunately flew straight at the keeper, and one minute later Perrott and White again combined to threaten, but again the ball was scrambled for a corner. A Perrott back header from an Osman free kick went just wide, and then in the 84th minute Thomson broke on the left wing, and with Phillips way off his line, the crowd were screaming for the lob, but the cross cam in and a grateful defender was able to slide the ball away. Frome very nearly won it in the 86th minute as Thomson again did well on the left, got to the deadball line and pulled the ball back for White to bring a good save from Phillips, the ball going to Perrott whose goal bound shot was again cleared off the line by a defender, but the chance went and shortly afterwards the whistle blew for full time. The first half of extra time saw Frome go very close on several occasions, but the Paulton defence always just seemed capable of keeping the ball out of the net, and it was starting to look like penalties might be needed. Dean Evans had a chance to win it with seven minutes left as a Brigham throw found him lurking in the box, but the goal bound header deflected off of a defenders shoulder for a corner and the chance want and eventually penalties were the order of the day. With their first five penalties, four were scored for Frome by Evans, Reaney, Brigham and Billings, with Perrott missing as he blazed one over the bar. Paulton also scored four with successes for Cleverley, Harrington, Claridge and Cooper, with Rich missing as he hit the bar. As it moved into sudden death, Jamie Cheeseman's shot was saved by Phillips, who then took the next penalty, scored and sent Paulton into the next round of the Red Insure Cup. Representatives of match sponsors Butler, Tanner and Dennis presented Dean Evans with the man of the match award, and the match ball was sponsored by Andrew St. John.  Frome Town Paulton Officials Match Sponsor Butler, Tanner & Dennis Gordon Rieck Jack Allward Stuart Tovey Mark Harrington Courteney Redwood R Abrams M Veater K Williams Match Ball Andrew St John Kyle Phillips Phil Walters Callum Hart Alex Ball Ollie Price Josh Jefferies Ben Cleverley Charlie Rich Rob Claridge Matt Cooper Daine O’Connor