Match Reports Season 2010 / 11 Wednesday March 2nd 2011 Radstock Home Wed March 2nd 2011 Somerset Premier Cup Quarter Final Frome Town 3 Radstock 3 (aet) Radstock win 7 - 5 on penalties) Frome Scorers: White (43), Ballinger (63p), Thomson (95) Radstock Scorers: Plummer (13), Miller (33) & (119) Entertainment Value: 3 Star Man: Matt Smith For the second time this season, Frome Town bowed out of a cup competition in a penalty shoot out in a home match against local rivals. Back in October it was Paulton Rovers and this time it was Radstock Town, who played for the whole of the extra time period with 9 men, but still showed enough passion  and commitment to equalise one minute before the end of extra time, and go through to the next round by scoring all their penalty kicks. On a bitter night and in front of a good crowd of 174, the match kicked off with Frome applying the early pressure and winning numerous corners, but nothing came of them and it was Radstock who took the lead in the 13th minute in almost there first attack as the ball fell to Plummer who struck a sweetly hit shot from the edge of the area low into the corner of the goal. Frome responded with pressure that again led to corners, and in the 21st minute, Hulbert's flicked header was scrambled off the Radstock line with various claims that the ball had crossed the line, but nothing was given. Radstock looked dangerous as they counter attacked, and sure enough, they extended their lead in the 33rd minute as Pawley got the better of Peters in the Frome area, got to the dead ball line and pulled the ball back perfectly for Miller to fire home cleanly from 15 yards. At 2-0 down, Frome needed something before half time to make a game of it, and Darren White duly obliged in the 43rd minute as he latched onto a Hulbert flicked header and scored with a left foot shot from a very tight angle to reduce the arrears and set up a potential classic with Frome attacking their favoured end in the second half. The second half started a pattern with Frome very much in the driving seat with neat passing movements setting up chance after chance, but in every case, the final shot was either off target or pretty much straight at Stevens in the Radstock goal. A Hulbert through ball in the 55th minute lead to Thomson blazing over from 15 yards, Thomson set up Ballinger in the 57th minute, but his shot was blocked, Hulber set White free in the 59th minute but his left foot shot skimmed past the far post. Smith set up Thomson in the 62nd minute but a last ditch tackle by Bryant just did enough to unsettle him and the shot cleared the bar, and it seemed like the equaliser would never come, but then it did. The 63rd minute saw a great Smith through ball set White free and as he shaped to shoot from 15 yards, Bryant put an arm round him and pulled the striker to the ground. The unsighted referee gave nothing, but the assistant referee flagged and after a short discussion, the penalty was awarded and Bryant was shown a red card for a "professional foul". Ballinger duly slotted the penalty home and at 2-2 the match was there to be taken. The 65th minute saw another Smith pass split the defence and a deflected Thomson shot went for a corner. As the ball was swung in, White flicked on at the near post and a startled Bennett managed to head the ball over the bar from a range of at least a yard for an amazing escape for Radstock. The 77th minute saw White twist and turn on the edge of the box, and as he dinked the ball to Hulbert, the striker turned and shot only to see his low shot rebound off the far post to safety. Two minutes later and White again set Hulbert free, but this time Stevens saved and Evans' follow up shot from 12 yards was blocked on the line by a defender. The 86th minute saw the second sending off of the night as Lewis and White caused mayhem on the edge of the box, and White pushed the ball into space he was crudely taken down by Watson who was shown a second yellow and sent from the field. After several more fruitless attacks, the referee blew for time and the Frome fans fancied their chances as few believed that 9 men could hold out for an entire 30 minutes of extra time. The 3rd minute of extra time saw White sky the ball over the bar from 5 yards after being set up by Lewis and Evans, but a goal duly arrived in the 5th minute as Thomson cut in from the left and his deflected shot found the back of the net to give Frome a 3-2 advantage. Evans should have sealed it in the 9th minute as good work by Lewis led to him blazing over the open goal from 15 yards, and the first fifteen minutes ended with Smith shooting past the post after being set up by Lewis and Ballinger. The second half of extra time was quiet by comparison, and Lewis almost scored in the 29th minute as he trapped and shot all in one movement, but Stevens just got a hand to the ball and slowed it enough to be able to recover. The resulting clearance caused the ultimate sucker punch as a Frome defender's attempted clearance hit one of his own defenders, the ball rolled to Miller who coolly slotted the ball under Quelch to make the score 3-3 and bring on penalties. Evans missed the first one for Frome as his shot hit the bar, but Radstock converted their first two with ex Frome stalwarts Jack Metcalf and Matt Cowler scoring with out problem. Lewis and Ballinger scored for Frome, but after Stevens saved from Reaney, it was just left to Newby to score, which he did with the help of the post and the Radstock team and supporters went wild with delight. So in summary, Frome did enough easily enough attacking to win, but failure to hit the target is becoming a real problem. Radstock should be applauded for the way the dug in and defended with their lives, eventually doing enough to win against all the odds. Good luck in the next round. Matt Smith was chosen as man of the match for being at the heart of a lot of good moves on his return from loan.      Frome Town Radstock Officials Ben Newby Kirk Latham Barry Sandquest Terry Moore Ray Johnstone (GK) D Ricketts S Glyde J MIzzi Gary Stevens Jack Metcalf Ben Hancock Stuart Bryant Tim Thompson Liam Watson Tom Hamilton Tom Pawley Kristian Miller Twaine Plummer Matt Cowler