Match Reports Season 2010 / 11 Monday May 2nd 2011 Sholing Away Monday 2nd May 2011 Zamaretto Southern League Division 1 (SW) Play Off Final Sholing 0 Frome Town 1 Frome Scorers: Evans (6) Crowd: 650 Entertainment Value: 5 Star Man: The entire Frome Squad. Frome Town gave a perfect demonstration of what team spirit and desire can produce as they defended an early Dean Evans goal for 84 minutes, became the only team this season to keep a clean sheet at Sholing, and by doing so gained a richly deserved promotion to the Southern League Premier Division, to the joy of their huge army of travelling fans. As the large crowd of 650 gathered before the match, it became clear that the conditions on the day were going to have a huge impact on the match, and with a very dry pitch that sent up dust after every footfall, and with a stiff wind blowing from one corner flag diagonally across the pitch to the other, it was clear that much of the game was going to be played in the air, and that the team that could get the ball down and play, would be the ones who fared the best. The match kicked off with an early scare for Frome as in the 3rd minute Cheeseman headed the ball back to Chitty, but the ball held up in the wind allowing Wort to attempt an acrobatic overhead kick that cleared the Frome bar from 10 yards out, but then three minutes later Frome took the lead, and what a goal it was. Cooper took a free kick on the just inside the Sholing half on the left wing, and he hit the ball low and hard into the penalty area, where Hulbert controlled the ball and flicked it over his shoulder into the path of Evans who, without breaking stride, absolutely hammered the half volley into the roof of the net giving Hookway no chance in the home goal. Sholing came back into the match, but, playing against the wind, anything in the air tended to favour the Frome defenders, and they made little headway. Frome's Peters let fly with a rasping 30 yard volley in the 17th minute that Hookway did very well to get to and palm away for a corner. Hookway excelled again in the home goal in the 27th minute as a right wing cross found Evans unmarked in the Sholing box, and his downward header required a very sharp save to push the ball round the post. Although Sholing tried hard to get going for the remainder of the first half, the wind was always in Frome's favour and they always looked likely to sneak a second, but it wasn't to be and the score remained 1-0 to Frome at half time. To quote the old cliche, the conditions were going to ensure that this was going to be " a game of two halves", and whether or not Frome could hold out against the conditions and the hosts remained to be seen. Frome initially started the second half the brighter of the two sides, but Sholing soon started to use the conditions to put the visitors under pressure, and Chitty had to be alert to deal with a variety of corners and shots in the next ten minutes. He produced the save of the match in the 12th minute as Wort chased a high bouncing ball between Flockton and Cheeseman, with Chitty throwing himself across his goal to push the toe poked shot away for a corner. The match then entered a pattern of Sholing domination as they used the conditions to pour a succession of high balls and crosses into the Frome penalty area, but they found the Cheeseman and Flockton in inspired form, and with Chitty clearing up behind and Cooper and Brigham defending the wings, they made little progress and created few chances. However, Frome were penned in their own half, defending with ten men and only making occasional forays into the Sholing half. Sholing's substitute Ryan Ashford was shown two yellow cards for dissent and dismissed in the 87th minute, and the 91st minute saw a Sholing free kick superbly headed away by Cheeseman, but as the time ticked away, the Frome fans became more and more nervous and they had every reason to be as in the 5th minute of stoppage time, and high bouncing ball seemed to confuse everyone and only another world class save from Chitty managed to scramble the ball for a corner, with everyone convinced that the ball was going in the net. Several minutes later, the final whistle blew and Frome had achieved improbable ... gaining promotion into the Premier Division after just two seasons in the Southern League. The massed ranks of travelling fans celebrated wildly with the players and looked forward to a very long night no doubt. Massive congratulations to Darren Perrin and the entire playing staff and management, who have a fostered a "never say die" attitude that Frome one of hardest teams to beat in the Southern League. Roll on next season     Frome Town Sholing Officials Jamie Austen Ryan Ashford Adam Camfield Barry Mason Lee Webber J Hillier S Kay S Finnegan MIke Hookway Mike Carter Marc Diaper Dave Marden Lee Bright Tyrone Bowers Marvin McLean Byron Mason Kevin Gibbens Lee Wort Nick Watts Match Sponsors xxxxxx Match Ball xxxxxxx Mascot xxxxxx