Saturdayday April 27th 2013 Barwell Away Saturday 27th April 2013 Evo-Stik League Southern Premier Barwell 1 Frome Town 1 Frome Scorers: Smith (80) Barwell Scorers: Newton (89) Crowd: 304 Star Man: Dean Evans Entertainment Value: 4 For the fourth match in a row, Frome Town found themselves facing play-off position opponents, and this time they dug deep with a severely depleted squad to produce a superb team performance and a 1-1 draw denied Barwell the three points they needed to ensure a play-off position. Injuries and unavailability meant that Frome travelled without the services of Tom Evans, Josh Brigham, Matt Cowler, Lloyd Matthews, Mitch Bryant, Ed Quelch and Lloyd Chamberlain, and with Darren Chitty failing a fitness test just prior to kick off, Frome were forced to strat the game with right winger and England Futsal captain Luke Ballinger playing in goal for his first ever match in goal in a Frome shirt. Surprisingly, Barwell didn’t really test the stand in keeper early on , and apart from a first minute lob that cleared the bar, Frome looked the more dangerous in the early stages a Mike Perrott shot was saved by Liam Castle, and a storming run from Ricky Hulbert led to a ball across goal that was smashed out for a corner. Barwell went close in the 23rd as Ballinger missed his punch at a free kick, allowing Dan Newton to get a header on goal, but superb work by Mark Cooper on the Frome line saw him head the ball upwards and onto the bar before being cleared. The rest of the half saw few chances, but Frome had a chance just before half time as he cut in from the right wing and his effort was deflected narrowly past the near post. Half time saw Dave Gilroy replaced by Tom Bannerman Williams, and with Gosport leading at half time, Barwell were really expected to increase the pace, but Frome controlled the early stages and the hosts frustration grew by the minute. The 62nd minute saw Hulbert go close, and Dean Evans produced a 25 yarder which caused Castle some nervous moments, and with Barwell confined to a couple of long range efforts from Kevin Charley, it was beginning to look like a 0-0 draw was on the cards, however, Frome took the lead in the 80th minute as home keeper Castle came out of his area to head the ball clear, only for Matt Smith to produce a superb 35 yard that flew back over the stranded keeper and into the Barwell net. The goal really put the cat amongst the pigeons, and Barwell’s Nigel Julien was shown a straight red as he flattened Jed Harper-Penman who was clean through on goal and looking to score Frome’s second. The free kick came to nothing and a frantic finale saw Barwell’s Dan Newton bundle the ball into the net from close range with a minute to go to equalise. Frome’s Josh Ford was clipped in the box a few minutes later, but nothing was given, and a great performance full of team spirit and pride saw Frome bring a point home and deny Barwell the excitement of being in the play-offs.   Dean Evans  was awarded the  “H&B Tyres Man of the Match” award for a hard grafting captain’s  performance in the centre of the park. Frome Town Barwelll Officials xxx xxx xxx Match Photos Photos of this match taken by our expert photographer Chas Hadfield can be viewed by clicking on this rectangle Match Sponsor xxx Ball Sponsor xxx Liam Castle Scott Lower Jamie McAteer Guy Hadland Mark Albrighton Richard Lavery Jamie Towers David Barnett Daniel Newton Daniel Gaunt Jack Edwards Luke Barlone Justin Marsden Nigel Julien Thomas Weale Kevin Charley