Wednesday April 24th 2013 Gosport Borough Home Wednesday 24th April 2013 Evo-Stik League Southern Premier Frome Town 1 Gosport 1 Frome Scorers: Ballinger (26) Gosport Scorers: Williams (6) Crowd: 165 Star Man: Matt Smith Entertainment Value: 4 Once again, Frome Town found themselves facing contenders for the play off positions, and a fast open game saw two first half goals share the points with Gosport, though the second half showed exactly how much Gosport wanted all three. Frome kept a similar staring line up to the previous two matches, the only difference being that Dave Gilmore started at number 8 instead of Josh Brigham who started on the bench. A very fast start to the match saw Gosport take the lead in the 6th minute as Dan Wooden cut in from the left leaving defenders in his wake, and as he approached the goal he pulled the ball back low for Rory Williams to slot home easily from close range, with Darren Chitty picking up an injury (that would see him limping for the whole game) as he attempted to keep the ball out. The match became more even as it settled and Frome looked dangerous on a couple of occasions as they took the game to Gosport, and the equaliser arrived in the 26th minute as a clever Gilroy dummy allowed the ball to run to Ricky Hulbert whose shot was saved by Nat Ashmore, only for the lurking Luke Ballinger to poke the rebound home from close range. The Frome equaliser shook Gosport into renewed action, and they really started to turn the screw with Chitty saving well at his near post in the 33rd minute and two amazing clearances off the Frome line by Josh Ford and Dave Thompson denied Gosport what looked like a certain goal. Gosport’s Dan Wooden volleyed a sharp chance over the bar shortly afterwards and then Dan Woodward hit the base of the post with a well struck shot from the edge of the box, but the Frome defence held out and the score stayed at 1-1 at half time. Josh Brigham replaced the injured Tom Evans at half time, and Frome had a good opening few minutes, but then Gosport replied and how they managed not to score in the 57th minute is unbelievable as they seemed to have two open goals in the space of a few seconds. Brigham picked up an injury in the 65th minute that saw him replaced by Dean Flockton and it sparked off a “mass conference” as Gosport carried on playing to the whistle when Frome thought they should have kicked the ball out of play. However things soon settled down and the rest of the half saw Frome fighting a desperate rearguard action as Gosport threw everything they had at the home side desperately trying to get the three points that would see them probably in the play offs. The limping Darren Chitty brought off some great saves in this period and always seemed to be in exactly the right place, and with defenders throwing their bodies into the fray, somehow the ball stayed out of the net. The eighth minute of injury time saw another great save from Chitty and as the corner was swung in, a Gosport head put it out of play and the referee blew at the end of a very good match.  Matt Smith  was awarded the  “H&B Tyres Man of the Match” award from match sponsors Toolstation, after yet another hard grafting performance in the centre of the park. Frome Town Gosport Officials M Bloor J Bishop M Veater Match Photos Photos of this match taken by our expert photographer Chas Hadfield can be viewed by clicking on this rectangle Match Sponsor Toolstation Ball Sponsor CW Accountancy Ltd. Nat Ashmore Luke King Brett Poate Aaron Cook (c) Lee Molyneaux James Brown Sammy Igoe Dan Smith Dan Wooden Rory Williams Dan Woodward Ellis Martin Adam Wilde Sam Wilson Tom Dunford Anthony Ender