Frome Town Welton Rovers Officials xx xx xx Match Sponsor xx Ball Sponsor xx Tuesday October 7th 2014 Welton Rovers Away Tuesday 7th October 2014 Somerset Premier Cup 1st Round Welton Rovers 2 Frome Town 3 (AET) (90 mins score 1-1) Frome Scorers: Thomson (65) (114) (117) Welton Scorers: Reynolds (8), Peck (106) Crowd: 83 Star Man: Ben Thomson Entertainment Value: 3 In a match liberally sprinkled with red and yellow cards, Ben Thomson rose above the mediocrity to produce a hat trick of superbly taken individual goals that saw Frome edge through to the next round  of the Somerset Premier Cup. With Frome’s big FA Cup match against Boreham Wood on Saturday, several players were rested for this match, and as the match kicked off with Welton playing down the slope, it was obvious from the outset that this was going to be a very physical battle, which was to continue right to the final whistle. Welton ran the game for the first twenty minutes and justifiably took the lead in the 8th as a free kick from Cottle was headed back across the goal for Reynolds to score with a close range stooping header, and they could easily have increased their lead in the 19th as Lewis Pierre did well to parry a crisp shot away. Welton’s goalkeeper King was called into action for the first time in the 30th as he dealt with a left wing cross, then a minute later Jack Vallis reacted angrily to a challenge by Welton’s Anthony Conradi and both players were shown a straight red card. Hat trick hero Ben Thomson replaced Tom Golledge at half time and his physical presence immediately gave the Welton defence something to think about, with Frome at last getting into the match. Mark Francis brought a save from King in the 50th and went close again with a shot from the resulting corner, but after numerous dubious tackles and yellow cards, Ben Thomson scored his first of the night as he latched on to a great Francis through ball, cut back inside onto his left foot and curled a perfect left foot shot into the far top corner of the net.  As full time approached, the yellow cards tally increased, but neither side really looked like breaking the deadlock and the match moved into extra time. Welton took the lead in the first period of extra time as a move on the left led to Rhys Cook pulling ball back to Peck who shot past Lewis Pierre with the aid of a deflection, and at this stage it looked like Frome would be going out of the competition. However, the second half of extra time was a different matter and playing with the slope as legs tired was an obvious advantage, and after Mark Francis had a couple of attempts on goal that went close, Thomson scored his second of the night with an almost carbon copy of the first, again producing a perfect left foot shot into the far top corner after cutting in from the right. As penalties loomed, it was fittingly Thomson who scored the winner with another left foot shot into the top corner after being found in space by Francis, and with three minute to go, Frome closed the game out for a hard fought victory. Ben Thomson was chosen for the “H&B Tyres Man of the Match Award” for a hat trick of the highest quality, any one of which would have graced a Premiership match.   Prog Sponsor xx