Frome Town Paulton Officials xx xx xx Match Sponsor xxx Ball Sponsor xx Tuesday March 1st  2016 Paulton Rovers Away Tuesday 1st March 2016 Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division Paulton Rovers 2 Frome Town 1 Frome Scorers: Davies (25) Paulton Scorers: Brown (64), Ford (75) Crowd: 302 Star Man: Jon Davies Entertainment Value: 3/5 If there was any justice, Frome would have won this match as they had the bulk of territory and possession, but Paulton defended doggedly, won two free kicks in dangerous positions, scored from both of them and took all three precious points with a 2-1 win. Frome’s squad included the return of Jon Davies and with Connor Roberts pulling up in the warm up, Steve Hulbert took his place at centre half, and with Jordan Walker starting at right back, Kris Miller moved up to play on the right wing. Kicking up the slop and against a swirling, blustery wind, Frome were the first to show as Davies unleashed a 25 yard shot that just cleared the crossbar, but then Paulton broke quickly with Jordan Ricketts who released Jake Mawford only for his shot to fly across the  face of the Frome goal. After Davies had been fouled in the 17th, Kris Miller hit a free kick into the body of Ben John which the keeper managed to hang onto at the second attempt, and six minutes later Darren Jefferies went on a great diagonal run and pulled the ball back for Davies to shoot into the body of a defender. Jefferies repeated the trick two minutes later, but this time the sweet through ball to Davies found him in space and through on goal and he cleanly drove the ball past John from just inside the box to give Frome a 1-0 lead that they thoroughly deserved. Frome were making all the running at this stage, however Darren Chitty made his first save of the match in the 32nd minute as Jefferies did well to win the ball in midfield but it broke away to allow Paulton a shot on goal. Frome finished strongly towards the end of the half, and after a Davies snap shot had just deflected past the far post for a corner, there was a big shout for a penalty as Paulton’s Darren Mullings seemed to get an arm to the ball as he over balanced in the penalty area, but Frome were not to be destined to get many decisions in their favour on this night, and the referee waved away the protests. Three times in the last five minutes Davies was the architect of Frome’s attacking moves, but despite Frome’s dominance, getting the shots on target proved to be a problem and the 1-0 scoreline remained the same. Playing with the slope and the wind in their favour, Frome started strongly and in the 49th minute, Jefferies pulled the ball back for Davies to shoot into a defender and as Rob Hobbs went for the loose ball, he was clearly tripped in the box, but once again the referee apparently did not see it. Paulton were struggling to get out of their half in the first quarter of an hour and when Davies dispossessed Steve Williams on the edge of the box and then scored with ease, it seemed that Frome were on course for a win, but on a night of strange decisions, the goal was ruled out by the linesman’s flag, presumably for a foul on Williams. The 63rd minute saw Paulton’s first chance of the half as they were awarded a free kick ten yards outside the Frome area, and although the defensive wall seemed well placed, the well hit free kick from Aaron Brown seemed to deceive Chitty and the ball somehow flew into the net for an “against the run of play” equaliser. Despite Frome’s dominance of possession and territory, Paulton made it 2-1 in the 75th after Sam Teale had been shown a yellow card for a tackle where he seemed to take the ball first, and as the ball was swung in from a position close to the dead ball line, it wasn’t cleared and ex Robin Josh Ford was credited with the last touch as it sneaked inside the far post. Good work from Davies and a run into the box led to an almost unbelievable yellow card for diving as he was flattened by the considerable bulk of Josh Ford, and while it may not have been a penalty, free kicks for diving are given when a player feigns contact, and that most definitely was not the case in this instance. Despite a frenzied last ten minutes, Frome could only manage one shot on target from Mitchell Page and on a rare foray into the Frome half, Paulton managed to play keep ball near the corner flag for several of those last remaining minutes, and celebrated noisily at the final whistle.    Jon Davies was awarded the H&B Tyres Man of the Match Award and if he can keep producing the form he showed in this match, then surely Frome will sooner or later get the results that their performances deserve. Programme Sponsor xx