Frome Town Tiverton Officials M Halford D Ghent D Jones Match Sponsor Clive Lewis Lettings Ball Sponsor Berkley Catering Monday 28th August 2017 Evo-Stik Southern Premier League Frome Town 0 Tiverton Town 1 Frome Scorers: None Tiverton Scorers: Price (11) Crowd: 258 Star Man: Marcus Mapstone Entertainment Value: 3/5 On a sweltering day, an 11th minute goal from Tiverton’s captain Jamie Price eventually settled this game, and although Frome continuously tried to find the key to unlock the massed defence of the visitors for the rest of the game, they failed and slipped to their third successive home defeat of the season. Two days after their marathon 9 hour return journey to KIng’s Lynn on Saturday, at least Frome had a home game two days later and it was newly promoted Tiverton who travelled the 70 or so miles to this Bank Holiday “local derby”. Frome’s team showed just one change from Saturday, with Ollie Knight coming back into the side and Joe Raynes moving to the subs bench. Against a physically much bigger side, Frome kicked off and the early exchanges saw chances for both sides as Mike Landricombe headed a free kick just wide of the Frome post in the 5th and Frome went close twice a minute later as Marcus Mapstone had a header deflected for a corner and a second header just wide as he won the ball from the resulting corner. Sam Teale had a golden opportunity in the 9th as he cleanly won a header at another corner, but again the ball went wide and Frome would rue those missed chances as the game wore on. Tiverton took the lead in the 11 as a free kick was hit firmly beyond the Frome far post and Jamie Price somehow managed to dive and head the ball up and over and back across the goal with the ball falling just inside the far post to the despair of Kyle Phillips. Frome went close in the 18th as a rare overlap from Kris MIller took him to the deadball line and as he pulled it back, Knight’s shot hit a defender and looped up into the air before a foul on Martin Rice relieved the pressure on the visitors. Tiverton could have doubled their lead on 25 as Mike Landricombe got behind the Frome defence and pulled the ball back to Levi Landricombe (presumably a relative), but his mis-hit shot bobble across the face of the goal harmlessly. Sloppy Frome defending in the 32nd allowed Tiverton two shots on target with Phillips saving the second and the period provoked an angry reaction from Frome manager Josh Jeffries as his side looked capable of letting another in at any moment. However, the game changed at around this time as Tiverton seemed to take the view that they would defend their lead in depth in their own half and invite Frome onto them to see if they could find a way through the 10 man defence, and the tactic worked, with Frome failing to make an impression or create any chances for the remainder of the half. Frome did look livelier at the start of the second half, and the 49th saw Jon Davies hammer a shot against the intersion of the upright and the crossbar after a move involving Jefferies, Knight and Jackson had set up the shooting chance. Jackson saw a header easily taken by Rice in the 52nd as Davies pulled the ball back from the deadball line and Mapstone again went close as he got his head to a Davies free kick in the 58th, but Tiverton always looked dangerous on the break as Frome threw players forward and Jamie Short almost punished them in the 60th with a right wing break that was only just defended. With Frome expending all the energy on a very warm day and Tiverton expending less as they allowed Frome to come onto them, this was in a strange way reminiscent of the famous Ali / Fraser fight where Fraser expended all the energy and Ali caught him with a sucker punch right and the end, and as legs sagged in the heat, you could see that Tiverton were always likely to get another on a break away. The last half hour was more of the same, with Tiverton taking every opportunity to run the clock down and Frome tending to take the easy option of lofting balls into the penalty area, and when Mitchell Page came on in the 65th, there was always a possibility that this might work, but against a tall defence, headers won were few and far between and shots always seemed to hit a defender. Phillips did well to push a 20 yard snapshot from Jamie Short over the bar in the 81st as Tiverton countered, and Davies had half a chance to equalise in the 92nd minute but his low shot went straight into the body of Rice, and with seven minutes of time added on, Frome tried right to find an equaliser right to the end but it was just never going to happen.    Thoughts now turn to the visit of the unbeaten AFC Totton in the FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round on Saturday, and hopefully an upturn in fortunes. Marcus Mapstone was awarded the H&B Tyres Man of the Match Award by Gary Collinson of Clive Lewis Lettings who had sponsored the match.